JMJ

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Fort Story, VA - May 21st 1966

In December 1965 we arrived at Fort Story, Clare,Dominic around two years old and Michael around a year and a half old.We stayed at the guest house near the old light house. Our trailer came down from New Jersey and we settled on 17th street in a trailer park. Each day I drove from 17th Street to Fort story. I was in the 344th LARC company,my job was in the Motor Pool with trucks and supply, However Vietnam,,,,I was leading the regular life of any soldier when we got our orders to go to Vietnam.This was at the end of May.We would be restricted to post at a certain point in time. I was packed and ready to go (Sorry we did not see combat but we did our duty and did it well).We lost our first soldier before leaving.) 21 May 1966,,that fateful day. We ate breakfast and went back to the barracks. I was sitting on my bunk and talking with the soldier next to me.His name PFC Hunt. He was telling me about his girl friend who worked at the “Paper box” a restaurant on the beach (Pacific ave) near 17th St. He said she was french, I said I spoke a little French I could help him.I swoon realized I was making a Buddy I could have when we got to Vietnam. We kept on talking then the 1St Sgt told us to put on our swimming gear. We would go to the beach and get some exercise swimming. We took our gear with us and we marched down to the beach.On the beach we put our gear down and went in swimming.(we were around 40 or more men just one platoon.) We were enjoying ourselves when the Sgt said “Everybody out of the water” One soldier had been pulled out by a rip tide. Who was it?? We all went by our gear and one spot was missing, PFC Hunt. I remember looking out into the water he was out there some where. We returned to the barracks. That night his body washed up on the shore by the NCO club.(NCO=Non Commissioned officers club)It was a sad night for me.I felt I had lost a friend even tho I knew him such a short time.

Later we found out he had made out an insurance policy for $10,000 the day before he died.I will not judge what he may have done or saw an opportunity to do. At the end of May I was restricted to post we were ready to leave.I had arranged to be picked up by the fence at the end of the trailer park .

Early that morning my buddies pick me up and we went to Fort Story. That night I called Clare from a telephone near the old PX at the back of the barracks. I would not see her for a year.We packed our gear and the next day we were headed on the long trip to Vietnam, again we would lose one more soldier(In Vietnam).

Next our trip to Vietnam and our first few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog!